Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chapter 2- Tom and Myrtle's Apartment

In Chapter two the reader can see how the rich people of west and east egg act.  Tom takes Nick to a sketchy part of town to pick up his girlfriend, even though he is married.  When Nick was walking with Tom they go into a dirty garage and Nick thought the dirty and messiness was just a cover but it wasn’t.  He thought above the dirty garage had really nice apartments above it.  I thought it was very strange that Nick did not say anything to Tom about how sketchy the situation was.  If I was Nick I would have confronted Tom about having another girlfriend.  I also think it was very strange how Myrtle acts once she is away from the garage.  When Tom, Nick and Myrtle are going to their other apartment, Myrtle acts completely different.  She acts like she is rich when is with Tom.  Nick notices this but does not say anything.  If I was Nick I would not have said anything either because I do not want to be hated by someone like Tom.  When Tom hits Myrtle this is a symbol of what kind of man Tom is.  Tom hits Myrtle because she keeps saying Tom's wife's name.  When she keeps repeating Daisy in his face he hits her.  This shows that he has this completely different life because he is unhappy with Daisy and his old life.  This also shows how shady Tom is and how he uses his money to escape his old life.  I have noticed with this chapter and the first that other minor characters always bring up Gatsby.  Nick always tells the people the same thing too.  Mr. McKee said,  "Really? I was there at a party about a month ago.  At a man named Gatsby's.  Do you know him?" (32).  Nick responded with  his usually answer, "I live next to him" (32).  Nick never says anything more because he knows nothing about Gatsby.  Nick just wants everyone to know he lives next to him.  I am looking forward to reading when Nick does meet the Great Gatsby.    

No comments:

Post a Comment