Monday, April 30, 2012

Chapter 7- The Fight

To  me Chapter 7 has by far been the most exciting and most dramatic chapter so far in this book.  In the beginning of the chapter we find out that Gatsby has fired most of his servants.  He does this because he does not want anyone gossiping about how him and Daisy have been seeing each other.  I would have done the same thing if I was Gatsby.  I have looked at Gatsby differently since I found out that his entire life has been centered around Daisy and his obsession for his love.  I use to believe that Gatsby was a good role model because he was cool and very humble, but ever since in chapter five when he freaks out about meeting Daisy, I have thought less of him and this causes me to see him differently in the book.  Since I looked at him differently now I have now have developed different opinions about the story as I read.  In Chapter 7, Gatsby, Tom, Nick, Daisy and Jordan are all at Daisy's house.  They decide to go into New York to the Plaza hotel to have a few drinks.  Tom and Gatsby decide to drive there but Tom persuades Gatsby to let him drive Gatsby's car.  When I read this I was disappointed in Gatsby.  This shows to me that he is a push over and I do not respect this at all.  While they are at the hotel, Gatsby lets Tom call him out.  Tom confronts Gatsby about his entire life; he brings up Oxford and how Gatsby is a bootlegger right in front of everyone.  Tom says, "By the way, Mr. Gatsby, I understand you're an Oxford man"(128).  Gatsby says, "Not exactly" (128).  Tom continues to harass Gatsby and says, "Oh, yes, I understand you went to Oxford" (128).  I think Tom keeps trying to embarrass Gatsby in front of Daisy.  Tom wants Daisy to see that Gatsby is not who he really is.  Tom continues to make Gatsby feel awkward by asking him questions.  Gatsby finally explains that he only went to Oxford for five months.  Tom also calls Gatsby out on how he is a bootlegger.  This is when the fight really starts to heat up.  I really enjoyed reading this part because it has been what I have been waiting for all chapter.  Gatsby tries to get Daisy to say that she never loved Tom.  Sadly she cannot admit that this.  This truly shocked me as I read this.  This is when the book surprised me because I thought that Daisy would come out and say that she has always loved Gatsby.  This is when the book got very interesting.  On the way home, Myrtle Wilson runs out into the middle of the road and Gatsby car hits her.  The thing that is very ironic about this is that Daisy was driving Gatsby car.  I thought this was interesting because Daisy killed the woman Tom has been cheating on her with and Daisy never even knew who she was.  This intrigued me.  When Tom, Nick and Jordan arrive and see Myrtles death, Tom freaks out.  On the drive home, Tom shows emotion for the first time in the story.  He starts crying about the death of Myrtle.  I thought this was interesting because for the first time Tom displays emotion isn't even about the woman he is married too.  Tom seems more consider about Myrtle then about Gatsby and Daisy's affair.  This chapter has completely changed my view of the entire book.  I still can not decide weather if this is a good change or a bad change.  I hope the rest of the book is as dramatic as this chapter. 

1 comment:

  1. I like you view sully. This is very well written and your opinions are strong. Your excitement for the chapter shines through in you post.

    ReplyDelete