Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chapter 5- Finding out About Gatsby

In my opinion this is the most important chapter in the book so far.  This chapter reveals a lot about Gatsby and his love for Daisy and also displays many symbols.  In this chapter Gatsby tells Nick to invite Daisy over for tea so he can see her and reconnect.  Gatsby does this because he has a crazy obsession with her.  Before she gets to Nick's house, Gatsby does not act like his cool and self-confident self.  He acts nervous and has doubts about his plan.  Nick describes Gatsby's emotions and actions by saying,  "Finally he got up and informed me, in an uncertain voice, that he was going home" (84).  Gatsby says, "Nobody's coming to tea.  It's too Late!" (85).  Nick has to talk some sense into Gatsby and convinces him to stay.  This is a side of Gatsby that we have never seen before.  Nick is very shocked by how he is acting.  I was very shocked reading this because this is a completely new side of Gatsby.  This changed my whole opinion of him.  I thought he was a sly and fearless man, that could handle anything.  When Daisy arrives at Nicks house it is very awkward at first.  Gatsby and Daisy just stare at each other when they first meet, this make it very awkward for Nick.  Nick did the same thing I would have done which was leave the two alone.  When Nick comes back into his house it is more awkward then when he left, Daisy is crying.  If I was Nick I would have felt very strange in this situation.  Gatsby wants to show Daisy his house and invites Nick along.  Gatsby wants to show Daisy his mansion because he worked his whole life to impress her and his money is what he has to show.  This makes me think Gatsby is a stalker and is psychotic.  When I found out that he worked his entire life to earn his money to impress Daisy I was very surprised.  This changes the entire book for me, I did not expect the books plot to be like this.  

1 comment:

  1. I was also shocked by the new side of Gatsby being revealed in this chapter. You get the impression from the previous chapters that Gatsby should have a butter named after him for his smoothness. This was the first time we see Gatsby not being so sure of himself. I would of as well left the room because of the awkwardness.I only disagree with one thing, and that is your perception of Gatsby as a stalker or creep. I think Gatsby is just madly in love with Daisy. The guy worked so hard to make all this money, bought a house next to her, and has revolved his entire life around getting her back. Now if you don't think that is romantic or sweet, then i don't know what to say. Are Gatsby's ways of going about things strange and unusual? yeah no doubt, but I find it amazing that he would go through all that just for one girl. Other than that great blog man, i look forward to reading more of yours in the future.

    ReplyDelete